Gnomish Explorers League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gnomish Explorers League

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Members?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kallee
Veteran
Kallee

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 7:28 am

The other night I came back to Kallee after putting the wee one to bed, and I found that she had a whisper from someone asking if she could join our guild. I didn't respond because it had been several minutes since the other character had whispered me, I was AFK, and her name was a violation of server policies ( Wink ), but it did make me wonder... what is our plan for if (or when) others spot our troop of explorers and want to hook up with us? Do we have a recruiting policy - and if not, should we make one?

My initial suggestions would be to at least make an account on the forums so we have a way out-of-game to talk to one another, and they need to follow Blizzard's code of conduct (including the policies, and refuse to purchase or sell gold or leveling services). But those are pretty much givens, I'd think.

So, what is the approach we will take?
Back to top Go down
Agathon
Veteran
Agathon

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 11:30 am

If their name is a violation then it is pretty safe to assume they are not someone you will want in the guild. I have had my guild on Silver Hand for god lknows how many years now. I have found it is best to have a very rigid invite policy or you will get alot of people looking to either exploit guild resources or will not fit at all with the play style of the guild.

I have always required guild members to have played with, or know personally, the person they want to invite. If they can't personally vouch for them either in or out of the game, no invite.

These are just speaking from my experiences, I hope this helps in some way.
Back to top Go down
Onesiphoros
Admin
Onesiphoros

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 9:11 pm

I agree, I think that if someone wants to join the guild they need to understand what exactly the guild is about, that we only play to level on Wednesdaysr. I'd say we play with someone who wants to join the guild, for at least a week, preferably longer, and make sure the playing styles are similar enough to not cause any problems.

What do our other officers think?

Last edited by Onesiphoros on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ribosomal
Admin
Ribosomal

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: re: recruiting   New Members? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 2:49 am

Just curious what names are against the rules? If it's not rejected than how is the name not ok? Really I could careless what name anyone uses but that's just me. Anyway usually when people request to be in the guild they are on a full time character and after you explain to them what gnome night is about like Brad said generally they are not intrested. It just depends in EQ I did recruit several gnomes to gnome night who made an alt to come and play. Some people stay some people go but that's how you meet new people and your guild grows if that's something everyone is intrested in. Gnome night is just for fun and always has been I don't think any of the crazy game rules that usually apply to most playing matter here if people are intrested let them tag along and check it out. Atleast it was this way in EQ when we all played together. I think everyone here has done enough hard core gaming to know gnome night is a night off from that stuff. Anyhooo I did have a gnomey ask me about the guild and she really wanted to be in a shortie only guild but I explained to her the point of the guild and she had to decline. What's nice is we do have the website if anyone wants to find out more.
Back to top Go down
Kallee
Veteran
Kallee

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 10:50 pm

Ribosomal wrote:
Just curious what names are against the rules? If it's not rejected than how is the name not ok? Really I could careless what name anyone uses but that's just me.

The naming policy may be found here. Also, the role-playing servers have the additional restriction of "non-medieval or non-fantasy." A big part of this is the immersion aspect - it's hard to remain in character when you're constantly interrupted by "Robotman" or "Dfgjkexltles." It also tends to be a good baseline to determine who cares about their fellow players and who is only seeking to make trouble or doesn't really give a damn one way or another. As far as I'm concerned, if people can't play by the rules, they shouldn't be playing at all, so I report 'em. Twisted Evil

As for the reason why the name isn't rejected immediately... well, Blizzard's name generator isn't exactly the greatest. After all, it suggested "Milk" for a female tauren. Three times. All sorts of things tend to get through, and the GMs can't police them all. That's why players are often encouraged to report violations when they spot them - otherwise, they'll probably go unnoticed, and you'll have to worry about that jerk of a player the next time you log in again.

(And no, in case anyone was wondering, I haven't reported anyone from the gnomes. There aren't really any violations, except for Minipanzer, but I'm willing to let that one slide for now. Wink )
Back to top Go down
Ribosomal
Admin
Ribosomal

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 3:33 am

I see I never played on a RP server before. I guess someone will report my name eventually but in my defense it's a long standing gnomish name now for centuries!!!

I still don't get what makes minipanzer against the rules ? Is it the use of Mini ?
Back to top Go down
Kallee
Veteran
Kallee

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 7:13 am

Ribosomal wrote:
I see I never played on a RP server before. I guess someone will report my name eventually but in my defense it's a long standing gnomish name now for centuries!!!

I still don't get what makes minipanzer against the rules ? Is it the use of Mini ?

The name could be construed as "non-medieval" because of the use of "mini," yes. Also, although "panzer" is German for armor or shell, it is most frequently associated with the tanks the Germans used during World War II, so some could construe it as a real-world reference as well. So the name could be seen as a violation, but I suppose we'll address that if the GMs try to change it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Helixdragon
Veteran
Helixdragon

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Due to Lack of Bank space I have created another Toon for Storage -- And it's a Gnome.... Could we add Alts like that to the Guild roster?

And the Toon is Yulimandread....LOL..... Though I'd bring memories to the forefront...

I'm still Trying to get Darrell to Join Us....."TreeFold" from EQ1 and EQ2

Let me know...

I'm about to create a third account fo Bank Space.... I just can't through things away.....sorry....

Thanks,

The Steel Eyed one...... cyclops

(Master of the returned Flag, 16 in one Warsong foray)
Back to top Go down
Onesiphoros
Admin
Onesiphoros

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 5:03 pm

I'd say sell the excess. Either on the ah or vendor trash it. We are almost halfway to the first tab for the guild bank. we need 55 gold I think and then we have it.
Back to top Go down
Kallee
Veteran
Kallee

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 10:26 pm

Yeah, grey and white gear, feel free to vendor. Greenies, I'd say either sell on the AH or send to one of the 'chanters to fuel their practicing skills.

Just out of curiosity, what's filling up your bank space that merits another character so early? I have banking toons on various servers too, but I don't think I really needed them until I hit the 30s or so....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Members? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Members?   New Members? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Members?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gnomish Explorers League :: What is the GEL? :: The GEL-
Jump to: